MBL Bootcamp Schedule and Details
MBL Bootcamp 2017 took place September 10-17, 2017.
Graduate students joining programs in the Biological Sciences benefit from a unique opportunity to kick start their graduate careers by attending QBIO at MBL just before the school year begins. During this intense but fun week, incoming students learn, study, and play together in beautiful Woods Hole, MA. The bootcamp exposes students to key quantitative and professional skills they can build upon in the future and introduces them to the unrivaled research and education opportunities available on the campus of our sister institution, the Marine Biological Laboratory.
The program for 2017 includes:
Tutorials (short introductions to ideas, methods and techniques that students should master to begin their research path)
- Introduction to R: separate tracks for the novice and advanced user
- Exploring and visualizing large data sets
- Defensive programming: how to make sure data analysis is correct
- Imaging: how to automatically analyze images and movies
- Reproducibility: how to make sure other scientists can reproduce the findings
- Statistics for a data rich world: opportunities and perils provided by large data sets
- Workshops (methods and techniques applied in the context of specific disciplinary problems; real-world data analysis with faculty across BSD)
Professional development evening
- Planning for your career beyond grad school
- Navigating the first year
- Publications 101