Resources and Support

Disability Services Accommodation Process

Accommodations Process
We encourage students who self-identify as a qualified individual with a disability to contact Student Disability Services about the registration process as soon as possible. Student Disability Services engages with students to identify the necessary services and accommodations, including those that are temporary in nature, to assure equitable access to campus programs and services. Please contact Student Disability Services directly to begin this process – 773-702-6000 or The review process can take 1-2 weeks so students are encouraged to initiate this contact in advance of each quarter.

New students should be in contact with Student Disability Services by June 15 to allow enough time for review before beginning classes in Autumn Quarter.

Graduate students will receive an Accommodation Determination Letter that states the approved accommodations. Copies are shared with the the Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs in the Biological Sciences Division. Melissa Lindberg, Graduate Student Affairs Administrator, can assist with the implementation of accommodations as needed.

Student Responsibilities
Each quarter, students should discuss their accommodations with instructors directly by contacting their instructors and providing a copy of the Accommodation Determination Letter. Students should initiate this process as early in the quarter as possible.

In particular, students are encouraged to review their syllabi early in the quarter to determine their exam schedule in case arrangements need to be made to appropriately implement accommodations. Generally speaking, students should reach out at least 7-10 days prior to needing the accommodation implemented. Advance notice allows instructors and staff time to make arrangements with the student.

If you are a graduate student in the Biological Sciences Division and have questions or concerns related to disability accommodations, please email Melissa Lindberg, Graduate Student Affairs Administrator, Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs.