Graduate students joining programs in the Biological Sciences benefit from a unique opportunity to kick start their graduate careers by attending a quantitative analysis bootcamp just before the school year begins.
2022 Bootcamp Schedule and Details
qBio8, the Quantitative Approaches boot camp, is scheduled to take place on the University of Chicago campus, September 7 - September 14, 2022. Professor John Novembre will direct the course, assisted by a team of expert instructors and experienced course assistants.
The traditions of Bootcamp will continue so that the Autumn 2022 matriculants can benefit from establishing a core level of familiarity with computational workflows and the programming language R; and by participating in a range of professional development activities and discussions designed to build camaraderie, to be prepared for the first year of graduate school regardless of the instructional format, and to be introduced more broadly to the University of Chicago community.
Plans for the 2022 program include:
Tutorials (short introductions to ideas, methods and techniques that students should master to begin their research path)
- Introduction to R: separate tracks for the novice and advanced user
- Exploring and visualizing large data sets
- Reproducibility: how to make sure other scientists can reproduce the findings
- Statistics for a data rich world: opportunities and perils provided by large data sets
- Workshops applying knowledge gained in the tutorials to RNA sequencing, immunology, population genetics
- Navigating the first year
- Outreach and service opportunities
- Planning for your career beyond graduate school